Skip to main content

Selena Gomez - Hollywood singer and actor

 Hi, guys, how are you? So good to see you guys, so you guys havinga good night? I have to say that it’s such an honour tobe here, it is, I’m so happy to be here, I’m like a nerd and brought my own speechbut I hope it’s OK that I take this opportunity to really just spend with you guys and tellyou a little bit about my story. I’m not an activist, I haven’t changedthe world or led a campaign, I’m here to just tell you my path, so that you hopefullycan take something away from it, because I don’t like being honest with — this isa truth — I don’t like being honest with press and interviews, I like being honestwith you, directly, which is each and every one of you. Because I feel like I can and I’m just goingto start with the basics, so I’m 21 and my mom had, my mom had me when she was 16. And I’m from Grand Prairie, Texas, and sheworked four jobs and completely dedicated her life into making mine better. So, to me, she is the definition of a strongwoman. And I love her so much. Because she’s taught me those values somuch. Thank you. I have been acting my entire life and I haveknown since I was first on Barney, you know that purple dinosaur, he’s great. You guys are so motivated, I feel like I cansay anything! When I was eleven, the point being is thatwhen I was seven I wanted to be an actress and I wanted to live my dream. And when I was eleven I had a casting directortell that I wasn’t strong enough to carry my own show. And I’m sure all of you have been told thatyou don’t have what it takes and you may not be good enough and you don’t have enoughpeople supporting you and you’ve been told all of these things when deep down it’sall you want to do. You want to be a part of something great. You want to make something great. And it does more than not the wind out ofyou and crushes you when people try to tell you that you’re not good enough. And it almost did for me but there was mymom next to me stronger than ever and she said the most important thing is to alwaystrust in myself. If I have, if I’m doing something becauseI love it, I should do it because I love it and I believe that I can do it. So she told me to keep going, thank you, shetold me and she taught me to turn the other cheek and let the credits, the critics becritics, and let us just trust ourselves. So for me, thank you, two years later, I gotmy own show and the first thought, the first thought wasn’t oh man, that girl whenI was eleven said that I wouldn’t carry my own show and I did, I mean, I thought aboutthat for a little bit, but I thought about what my mom said. My mom is like you have to trust yourselfand I realized that if I didn’t believe that I could do it, I wouldn’t be able tobe here. And I have, I’m going to say I live a veryblessed life, I have so much to be thankful for and a lot of you are big part of inspiringme because I don’t think you get it and maybe you’re not old enough, but you inspireme to be better and we should inspire each other to be better. I’m surrounded by people who are supposedto guide me and some of them have and others haven’t. They pressure me, there’s so much pressure,you’ve got to be sexy, you’ve got to be cute, you’ve got to be nice, you’ve gotto be all these things! And I’m sure you can all relate, you allhave pressure that you have to deal with every day. I’m sure at school, at work, with friends,with parents, with family, parents, I know, sometimes with mine, they tell me what towear, how to look, what I should say, how I should be. Until recently, I had given in to that pressure. I lost sight of who I was. I listened to opinions of people and I triedto change who I am because I thought that others would accept me for it. And I realized I don’t know how to be anythingbut myself. And all I really want you to know is thatyou are changing the world, I’m not changing the world, you’re changing the world andthat’s amazing! Please, please just be kind to each otherand love and inspire people because let’s do it! Let’s do it, let’s change the game, let’schange the game! The most important thing is that we learnand we continue to learn from each other. Please stay true to yourself, please justremain who you are and know that we have each other’s back, all of us have each other’sback. I’d be lying if I said that I never triedto make myself better by giving in, because I have, but I’ve learned from my actions,and for all of the things I’ve done I’m proudest of that I’ve learnt from my mistakes. I want you to know what it’s like that Iknow what it’s like. Figuring out what types of friends you have,you are who you surround yourself with. So I just want to say I hope I can inspireeach and every one of you to just trust in yourselves, to love and to be loved, and thankyou for allowing me to come up and ramble and talk to you guys because this is sucha beautiful thing you’re doing. Be proud of yourselves. This is great! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Steve Jobs - Founder of Apple

 I am honored to be with you today at your commencement from one of the finest universities in the world. I never graduated from college. Truth be told, this is the closest I’ve ever gotten to a college graduation. Today I want to tell you three stories frommy life. That’s it. No big deal. Just three stories. I dropped out of Reed College after the first 6 months, but then stayed around as a drop-in for another 18 months or so before I really quit.  So why did I drop out?  It started before I was born. My biological mother was a young, unwed college graduate student, and she decided to put me up for adoption. She felt very strongly that I should be adoptedby college graduates, so everything was all set for me to be adopted at birth by a lawyer and his wife. Except that when I popped out they decidedat the last minute that they really wanted a girl. So my parents, who were on a waiting list,got a call in the middle of the night asking: “We have an unexpected baby boy; do you want him?” 

Nelson Mandela - Late revolutionarist

 Ladies and Gentlemen. This may very well be our last official visit to the United States before retiring from office next year. There could not been a more moving start to the visit than one which included being honoured in this way by one of the great educationalinstitutions of this nation and of the world. I know that through this award you are notso much recognising any individual achievement, but are rather paying tribute to the struggles and achievements of the South African people as a whole. I humbly accept the award in that spirit,while at the same time wishing you to know that we are not unaware of nor unmoved bythe great compliment you pay us by conferring this degree at a specially convened Convocation. To join George Washington and Winston Churchillas the other recipients of such an award conferred at a specially convened Convocation, is notonly a singular honour. It also holds great symbolic significance:to the mind and to the future memory of this great American institut

Tim Cook : Be a Builder

Stanford is near to my heart, not least becauseI live just a mile and a half from here. Of course, if my accent hasn’t given itaway, for the first part of my life I had to admire this place from a distance. I went to school on the other side of thecountry, at Auburn University, in the heart of landlocked Eastern Alabama.  You may not know this, but I was on the sailingteam all four years. It wasn’t easy. Back then, the closest marina was a three-hourdrive away. For practice, most of the time we had to waitfor a heavy rainstorm to flood the football field. And tying knots is hard! Who knew? Yet somehow, against all odds, we managedto beat Stanford every time.  We must have gotten lucky with the wind. Kidding aside, I know the real reason I’mhere, and I don’t take it lightly. Stanford and Silicon Valley’s roots arewoven together. We’re part of the same ecosystem. It was true when Steve stood on this stage14 years ago, it’s true today, and, presumably, it’ll be true for a while longer sti