Skip to main content

Jennifer Aniston

 Thank you Awkwafina, for taking that beautifulbullet for all of us, and thank God I wrote my speech down. Hi! Ellen, we got to keep the best friend stuffgoing on the deal okay, because a lot of my best friends are here. Okay, I mean, you would think after 30 yearsof being in this industry, getting up here would be easy, and it's not. It's terrifying. It's not that often we're surrounded by peoplewho found their voice and are using it, and using it to hold people up and bring peopletogether and that to me is true power. I mean, it's funny because I've never, youknow, I've never actually thought about myself as powerful. I mean, strong? Yes, but powerful, not mm-hmm. It's a distinction I've actually been thinkinga lot about lately because the word power and its counterpart, abuse of power keep comingup in light of what is happening in our country and in our industry, a rebalancing of thescales, I guess you could say. I've been thinking about my own relationshipwith that word, with the word power, which got me thinking about my early associations,from my early associations with my own sense of power. It is something I believe comes from usingour voice. And I remembered a parental figure sayingto me around the rather critical age of about 11. After a dinner party that I was excused fromthe table because I didn't have anything interesting to add to the conversation. Ouch, and it's stuck with me like painfullyworded sentences can, and if I'm being honest, and I'm being honest because I'm 58 and, youknow, that comes with the territory. That's right, so I carried that sentence withme into adulthood. I always felt incredibly comfortable givingyou know a voice to the words of others but put me at a dinner table with strangers orat a podium like this, and I go right back to being 11 years old. The last two years have made me think a lotabout the messages that we send young kids, little girls, especially how the things thatwe say and do can either build them up, or it can tear them down and make them feel likemaybe their voices don't matter. And it wasn't until Friends took off thatI started seeing myself in a different light. I started meeting all of these people whoexpressed to me how much the show meant to them, how it lifted their spirits during abad breakup or got them through an illness, and I was just so incredibly moved by that. I began to change the way I thought aboutmy own voice and what it meant to have a platform to use it. Still no prompter. And then enter Marlo Thomas. Marlo Thomas, as some of you might remember,she was my mama on friends, and I remember one day we were on set, and she said to meI'm going to this St. Jude Gala tonight would you like to be my date. I said yeah, I'd love to be your date andgo to that so there we are at this big elaborate gala there's tuxes and gowns and tiny littlefood on toothpicks that you can't eat in any dignified manner. I sat down at the table, and they startedto roll this tape of the hospital, and I sat there watching it moved to tears, and thatwas it for me. I wanted to be a part of this extraordinaryorganization, and that was 25 years ago. I am very honored to be a part of St. Jude,and I've been in love with him ever since. And right around this time every fall, weshoot the PSA for a holiday PSA, and I get to spend a day with a family of St. Jude,and I always say it's the best day of the year and the hardest day of the year, anda few years back, I met a little girl named Sawyer, who I still think about to this day. She was seven at the time, and I remembershe had this little pink dress on in these big angelic eyeballs. The chemo had taken all of her hair. She had these tiny little tumors on her bodythat she called her bumps, her alleys. She just sat on my lap and smiling and cuddlingwith me the whole time as we ran through the script again and again and again. After hearing this word, at the end of theday, after hearing the word repeated over and over again, she looked up at me with this,those big blue eyeballs, and she asked me what is cancer? I just looked at her, and I was like, "Ohgod, I'm not equipped to answer this question: birds and the bees." Oh, you're too young for that, but so I never…sorry, but seriously I never forgot about that moment here was this little girl whowas fighting this deadly disease every single day. She didn't even know what the word was forit, and it was just part of her reality. She was just making the absolute best of it,and that's what's unbelievable about these children despite everything that they areup against and as much pain as they are often in they are vibrant, they're joyful they arefearless, and that's part of the magic of St. Jude and why I'm so honored to supporttheir work because they are giving children the best care on the planet so that they canreclaim their childhood so that they can find their little inner superhero. They're doing it at no cost so that the familiescan focus on their little ones live without worrying about crippling hospital bills andtheir pioneering treatment cutting-edge treatments that will soon one day find a cure. And that is what every child deserves to knowthat they are seen, they are powerful, and they are loved and that they deserve a seatat the table and that anything they have to say or any question they have to ask is ofvalue even if we don't have all the answers for it. So, thank you very much for recognizing thework of this remarkable organization and for celebrating the power in each and every oneof us. Thank you. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Steve Jobs - Founder of Apple

 I am honored to be with you today at your commencement from one of the finest universities in the world. I never graduated from college. Truth be told, this is the closest I’ve ever gotten to a college graduation. Today I want to tell you three stories frommy life. That’s it. No big deal. Just three stories. I dropped out of Reed College after the first 6 months, but then stayed around as a drop-in for another 18 months or so before I really quit.  So why did I drop out?  It started before I was born. My biological mother was a young, unwed college graduate student, and she decided to put me up for adoption. She felt very strongly that I should be adoptedby college graduates, so everything was all set for me to be adopted at birth by a lawyer and his wife. Except that when I popped out they decidedat the last minute that they really wanted a girl. So my parents, who were on a waiting list,got a call in the middle of the night asking: “We have an unexpected baby boy; do you want him?” 

Nelson Mandela - Late revolutionarist

 Ladies and Gentlemen. This may very well be our last official visit to the United States before retiring from office next year. There could not been a more moving start to the visit than one which included being honoured in this way by one of the great educationalinstitutions of this nation and of the world. I know that through this award you are notso much recognising any individual achievement, but are rather paying tribute to the struggles and achievements of the South African people as a whole. I humbly accept the award in that spirit,while at the same time wishing you to know that we are not unaware of nor unmoved bythe great compliment you pay us by conferring this degree at a specially convened Convocation. To join George Washington and Winston Churchillas the other recipients of such an award conferred at a specially convened Convocation, is notonly a singular honour. It also holds great symbolic significance:to the mind and to the future memory of this great American institut

Tim Cook : Be a Builder

Stanford is near to my heart, not least becauseI live just a mile and a half from here. Of course, if my accent hasn’t given itaway, for the first part of my life I had to admire this place from a distance. I went to school on the other side of thecountry, at Auburn University, in the heart of landlocked Eastern Alabama.  You may not know this, but I was on the sailingteam all four years. It wasn’t easy. Back then, the closest marina was a three-hourdrive away. For practice, most of the time we had to waitfor a heavy rainstorm to flood the football field. And tying knots is hard! Who knew? Yet somehow, against all odds, we managedto beat Stanford every time.  We must have gotten lucky with the wind. Kidding aside, I know the real reason I’mhere, and I don’t take it lightly. Stanford and Silicon Valley’s roots arewoven together. We’re part of the same ecosystem. It was true when Steve stood on this stage14 years ago, it’s true today, and, presumably, it’ll be true for a while longer sti