Skip to main content

Keanu Reeves - Global Actor and Motivational speaker

 And there is only one Laurence "The Fish"Fishburne! Fierce! Thank you so much for being here, LaurenceFish and for your kind, gracious, over the top words. Your support, your love... It has been an honor and a privilege to havethe chance to work with you and I am so grateful for your friendship, mentorship, spirit, souland wisdom that you share with me. I am so grateful. Thank you, man. You are amazing! You are the best of the best. Laurence Fishburne. To the TCL, the Chinese Theater... It is a great honor to be here and to be invitedto this remarkable, historical, magical place. To be included amongst all of the incredibleartists who have made their mark here over the past ninety-two years, to be a part ofthis Hollywood tradition started by Sid Grauman all those years ago and which continues tothis day. I thank you. I thank you very much. To Lionsgate, I thank you for your supportand the opportunity to be here. Thank you Joe and to all involved at Lionsgate. I am very grateful. And to be on the forecourt, in the front ofthis legendary movie palace with John Wick? With John Wick? That is so -- You swore! – F*cking awesome! I mean, I love John Wick! Man, I love John Wick. And to you, the director and our visionaryof the film, Chad Stahelski -- To you, Ian -- Where are you? Lance... Laurence... Halle -- Where are you, Mark? Mark. Asia -- To the producers -- Basil, Erica. Thank you. To David, the co-director of the first JohnWick. The only way I am here is working with artistsand people such as yourselves. I am not here without working with such talented,beautiful artists and people. The only way I am standing here is to haveworked with such beautiful, wonderful artists in the past. I have been a part of some films that havebeen embraced and I am very grateful. They have changed my life. They have given me life. They have provided life. And I am very grateful to the people who haveenjoyed these films. Without your support, I am not standing here. Actually most of the people who are standingor sitting here are not here without your support. Thank you. I started acting when I was fifteen-years-oldin Toronto, Canada and I traveled in my first car when I was twenty years old across thecountry to Los Angeles, California... to Hollywood - with a dream. That dream! A dream I share with - I am sure - so manyhere and probably with most, if not all, of the artists memorialized and celebrated inthis remarkable place. The dream! To be in pictures. To be in movies. To be in films. To be in cinema... but first, I had to getan agent or a manager, and in my case it was a manager - Erwin Stoff. Erwin, without all of your belief and supportand without all of what you did for me, I would not be here. Literally - I would not be here! So, thank you. I am forever grateful. And then, Erwin introduced me to an agent. Not just any agent, but a spectacular agentand a person Hildy Gottlieb. Hildy, I thank you for believing in me andgiving that kid a chance, an opportunity for opportunity. I will be forever grateful. And I'd like to thank my agents who are heretoday. Meredith... Where are you, Meredith? Meredith? Where are you? Hello, Meredith. Chris and Keith - Thank you for being hereand for all that you do for me and for helping me to continue to have a career. And to my agents in the past - Kevin, Jimmyand Patrick - I thank you. I thank you very much. I want to thank my stepfather Paul Aaron,who as a director shared with me his world of the theater and film, who inspired himto dream and train as an actor and provided the opportunity to get in that car and havea safe place to land, to start. I want to thank all of the artists, teachers,agents and friends I had the opportunity to work with and to learn with in Toronto, especiallyRose Dubin, who oversaw the theater program at the JCC where she created what was a havenfor young artists to learn. It's where I had the chance to play Mercutioat sixteen and where I was seen by an agent and so started my professional career andmy love of Shakespeare. I want to thank my friends who are here today. Claire, where are you? Josh, Robert, Janie, Alexandra, Cheryl. Cheryl? Hello, Cheryl. Cheryl -- I love you. I love you all. Thank you. And I want to thank my mom! Who, when I said to her, when I was fifteen-- "Is it okay if I am an actor?" She said, "Do whatever you want to do, darling"...and so it began! I love movies. Gosh, I love movies! I love watching them and I love making them. It is an honor to be here today to celebrate- in this Hollywood hallowed ground - pictures, movies, films, cinema! With all of the artists who have made theirmark here of the past, the present and the future and with you. Thank you. Now let's go play in some cement. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Steve Jobs - Founder of Apple

 I am honored to be with you today at your commencement from one of the finest universities in the world. I never graduated from college. Truth be told, this is the closest I’ve ever gotten to a college graduation. Today I want to tell you three stories frommy life. That’s it. No big deal. Just three stories. I dropped out of Reed College after the first 6 months, but then stayed around as a drop-in for another 18 months or so before I really quit.  So why did I drop out?  It started before I was born. My biological mother was a young, unwed college graduate student, and she decided to put me up for adoption. She felt very strongly that I should be adoptedby college graduates, so everything was all set for me to be adopted at birth by a lawyer and his wife. Except that when I popped out they decidedat the last minute that they really wanted a girl. So my parents, who were on a waiting list,got a call in the middle of the night asking: “We have an unexpected baby boy; do you want him?” 

Nelson Mandela - Late revolutionarist

 Ladies and Gentlemen. This may very well be our last official visit to the United States before retiring from office next year. There could not been a more moving start to the visit than one which included being honoured in this way by one of the great educationalinstitutions of this nation and of the world. I know that through this award you are notso much recognising any individual achievement, but are rather paying tribute to the struggles and achievements of the South African people as a whole. I humbly accept the award in that spirit,while at the same time wishing you to know that we are not unaware of nor unmoved bythe great compliment you pay us by conferring this degree at a specially convened Convocation. To join George Washington and Winston Churchillas the other recipients of such an award conferred at a specially convened Convocation, is notonly a singular honour. It also holds great symbolic significance:to the mind and to the future memory of this great American institut

Tim Cook : Be a Builder

Stanford is near to my heart, not least becauseI live just a mile and a half from here. Of course, if my accent hasn’t given itaway, for the first part of my life I had to admire this place from a distance. I went to school on the other side of thecountry, at Auburn University, in the heart of landlocked Eastern Alabama.  You may not know this, but I was on the sailingteam all four years. It wasn’t easy. Back then, the closest marina was a three-hourdrive away. For practice, most of the time we had to waitfor a heavy rainstorm to flood the football field. And tying knots is hard! Who knew? Yet somehow, against all odds, we managedto beat Stanford every time.  We must have gotten lucky with the wind. Kidding aside, I know the real reason I’mhere, and I don’t take it lightly. Stanford and Silicon Valley’s roots arewoven together. We’re part of the same ecosystem. It was true when Steve stood on this stage14 years ago, it’s true today, and, presumably, it’ll be true for a while longer sti